GS21™ Neural Supplement
For Maximum Survival & Neuronal Cell Growth
GS21™ is the next generation serum-free neural media supplement, based on the formulation of NS21 Supplement, designed to improve the overall growth and performance of primary neurons1. GS21™ is specifically optimized for the maturation and long-term viability of primary rat and mouse neurons in culture, without the need for co-culture with astrocyte feeder cells.
- Significantly improves long-term viability of primary and iPSC-derived neurons in vitro.
- Enhances neurite outgrowth of primary neurons in culture.
- Supports growth and maintenance of primary neurons at low or high cell density plating.
Significantly Higher Neuron Viability
Click on image to enlarge
Fig.1 - Higher neuron viability after 2 & 4 weeks in culture - Primary Rat Cortical Neurons (GSC-8220) cultured in GS21™ supplemented culture media showed significantly higher neuron viability in culture, as compared to cells cultured using 3 competitor supplements. Neurons plated in 96-well plates were labeled with MAP2 (green), and DAPI (blue) to denote nuclei.
Click on image to enlarge
Fig.2 - GS21™ Supplement supports 6-week cultured neurons - Primary Rat Cortical Neurons cultured in GS21™ supplemented culture media remain viable after 6 weeks in culture. The above image shows healthy, mature primary neurons identified by MAP2 staining (green). Cells were imaged on a BD Pathway™ Bioimager after 6 weeks in culture. Images were acquired at 10x and 20x (inset) magnifications.
Improved Neurite Outgrowth
Click on image to enlarge
Fig.3 - Greater neurite outgrowth after 1, 2 and 4 weeks in culture - Primary Neurons were cultured in GS21™ supplemented neural base media. MAP2 labeling (top, left) was used to determine boundaries of the individual neuron cell bodies and associated neurites (colors are randomly assigned by the software). GS21 supplemented cultures showed significantly greater neurite lengths (top) and number of neurite segments (bottom) in culture, as compared to cultures supplemented with competitor supplement: neurite lengths, 1 week, (p=0.022), 2 week (p=0.017) and 4 week (p=0.023); and number of neurite segments (bottom) in 1 week,(p=0.036), 2 week (p=0.041) and 4 week (p=0.010). Images were acquired using a 10x objective (0.4 NA). Data from n=4 wells is shown as mean±SEM.
Y, Stevens B, Chang J, Milbrandt J, Barres BA, Hell JW. NS21:re-defined and Modified Supplement B27 for Neuronal Cultures. J Neurosci Methods, 171:(2) 239-0247, 2008.
- Gray NE, Zweig JA, Murchison C, Caruso M, Matthews DG, Kawamoto C, Harris CJ, Quinn JF, Soumyanath A. Centella asiatica attenuates Aβ–induced neurodegenerative spine loss and dendritic simplification. Neuroscience Letters. 2017 Mar 6.
- Almasieh M, Catrinescu MM, Binan L, Costantino S, Levin LA. Axonal Degeneration in Retinal Ganglion Cells is Associated with a Membrane Polarity-Sensitive Redox Process. Journal of Neuroscience. 2017 Mar 8:3882-16.
- Chen YT, Tai CY. μ2‐Dependent Endocytosis of N‐cadherin Is Regulated by β‐Catenin to Facilitate Neurite Outgrowth. Traffic. 2017 Feb 1.
- Huang, J. Y., Wang, K., Vermehren-Schmaedick, A., Adelman, J. P., & Cohen, M. S. (2016). PARP6 is a Regulator of Hippocampal Dendritic Morphogenesis. Scientific reports, 6.
- Venugopalan, P., Wang, Y., Nguyen, T., Huang, A., Muller, K. J., & Goldberg, J. L. (2016). Transplanted neurons integrate into adult retinas and respond to light. Nature Communications, 7.
- Barratt, H. E., Budnick, H. C., Parra, R., Lolley, R. J., Perry, C. N., & Nesic, O. (2016). Tamoxifen promotes differentiation of oligodendrocyte progenitors in vitro. Neuroscience.
- Gray, N. E., Zweig, J. A., Kawamoto, C., Quinn, J. F., & Copenhaver, P. F. STX, a Novel Membrane Estrogen Receptor Ligand, Protects Against Amyloid-β Toxicity. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, (Preprint), 1-13.
- Hong, Won S., et al. (2015). Development of a Highly Sensitive Cell-Based Assay for Detecting Botulinum Neurotoxin Type A through Neural Culture Media Optimization. Journal of Biomolecular Screening: 1087057115608103.
- Gray, N. E., Sampath, H., Zweig, J. A., Quinn, J. F., & Soumyanath, A. (2015). Centella asiatica attenuates β-amyloid-induced oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction. Journal of Alzheimer's disease: JAD, 45(3), 933.
- Pellett, S., Schwartz, M. P., Tepp, W. H., Josephson, R., Scherf, J. M., Pier, C. L., ... & Johnson, E. A. (2015). Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Derived Neuronal Cells Cultured on Chemically-Defined Hydrogels for Sensitive In Vitro Detection of Botulinum Neurotoxin. Scientific reports, 5.
|Recommended Use||Primary rat and mouse neuronal cell culture.|
|Product Unit||Bottle, sterile-filtered|
|Size||10mL, 50X Concentration|
|Quality Testing||Tested for neuronal cell growth, Sterility, Mycoplasma, pH, endotoxin, osmolarity, and other|
|Other||FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY - Not intended for human or animal diagnostic or therapeutic uses|
GS21™ Neural Supplement (50X)
- Product Code: GSM-3100
- Availability: In Stock